Welcome to the National Congregations Study!
The National Congregations Study surveys a representative sample of America's churches, synagogues, mosques and other local places of worship. Initiated in 1998, and repeated in 2006 and 2012, the NCS is based on in-depth interviews of congregational leaders. The study documents information about worship, programs, staffing, and other characteristics of American congregations.
Our site allows visitors:
- to learn about this ongoing project
- to read about interesting findings
- to explore the survey data by creating your own online analysis of it
- to download data from one or more survey waves for further analysis
We hope this material will be helpful to anyone seeking a deeper understanding of American religion.
If you have questions about the information or the web site, please contact us.
NCS Wave III Report Released Dec 2015
- Over 3800 participating congregations representing 70+ Christian denominations, plus Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, and other religious groups
- Information on demographics, leadership, worship life, community engagement, and much more
- Contains data tables, graphs, and detailed analysis
To receive updates or complete our short survey, click here